Monday, October 19, 2009

St. Bernard Project

It has been awhile since I have written on this blog.  We are back in New Orleans for our last round with NCCC.  Internet is not really accessible all the time.  Right now I am sitting in a lovely coffee shop in Chalmette called Da Parish Coffee Shop.  We are staying in St. Bernard Parish, which is fitting since we are working in the Parish with St. Bernard Project.  This nonprofit works to rebuild homes that have been destroyed.  Taken from their site, here is a brief description: 

"St. Bernard Project’s Rebuilding Program rebuilds homes for senior citizens, people with disabilities and families with children who can not afford to have their homes rebuilt by contractors. For clients who can afford supplies, the St. Bernard Project provides supervised volunteer labor. For clients who can not afford supplies, the St. Bernard Project buys the supplies and provides the labor."   


Each member of my team has a different job on the site.  We cover areas in the office, the warehouse, mold remediation, and site supervising.  My job with this nonprofit is working as a site supervisor.  (above is a pic of Dan and I during training. I was happy to complete putting up the drywall in that room.)  I lead volunteers in putting up insulation, drywall, and then mudding.  I have had the chance to meet multiple homeowners who always express their utmost appreciation and are so willing to share their stories.  As much as we are helping them, they have directly impacted my life.  It has truly been a unique experience.  With all of the work we are doing, there is so much that still needs to be done. Progress is made with volunteers and donations.  Below is the link for their website if you want to check out the St. Bernard Project.  

http://www.stbernardproject.org/

     SBP holds events throughout the year.  Two that Badger 5 was able to take part in were The Nuns Build and Women's Build!  Nuns from across the country came for the week to volunteer.  These women, all over the age of 60, came to help in any way possible.  They also hope to leverage more volunteers when they go back home.  We just finished with Women's Build this past week.  This is where teams of women across the country come down for as many days possible in the week and help with the rebuilding process.  Men are welcome, too, of course.  It is just a way to encourage women to get out and rebuild as well!  I met so many amazing women of all ages this past week.  If home this upcoming year, I am looking into possibly putting a team of people together for next year to come down to NOLA and participate.  If you are interested then let me know.

We are already half way done with this round.  I have three more weeks here and then a final week back at Perry Point.  It is all coming to and end so fast and I am still trying to figure out my plans for after AmeriCorps.  One thing I am sure about is how much I've missed everyone and can't wait to catch up on what others have been doing this past year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment