Sunday, August 16, 2009

Operation Military Kids Camp



Nicole and I went to the Natural History Museum with our crew members.  This was a chance to show them what their city has to offer that is fun, educational, and free.  They seemed to have a great time.  Missy mentioned how she wanted to bring her niece sometime, while Rees'e told us how this is her favorite museum.  She is the crazy one with her head in the Dinosaur's mouth.  It was a great time for our team.  This Summer of Service program is coming to an end faster than I expected.  
We finished our time in the 4-H office working on projects to prepare for the Operation Military Kids Camp.  Last week was the OMK camp.  It was great to see our crew members take on the leadership roles and responsibility required for their job.  They have all made progress this summer with continuing to develop different skills.  They all had a good time with the kids this week.  It was a sad last day for all of us even though we only spent 4 days with these campers.  It was clear that our crew members were impacted by the work they have done this summer, especially this past week.  Below is Angel with her campers at Ft. McHenry.
At the end, they asked 4-H staff if they could volunteer for 4-H in the future.  The staff was pleased about their enthusiasm and agreed.  I knew that this summer was going to be a challenging experience, especially since the main age group I am used to supervising has been the elementary age.  My hope for SOS was that by this time, the end of the summer, I have developed relationships with each of my crew members and that I have a better perspective of myself as a leader.  It feels good to finally be at that place.

This week coming up is our last week with Summer of Service. This brings many mixed emotions of relief that we are done with this long journey, sadness that I am leaving these kids who have impacted me in more ways than they realize, and excitement for what is to come in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment